Robotics - Assisted daVinci Prostatectomy
Read more about the da Vinci surgical procedure...
Doctors at Ventura County Urology Medical Group now have the tools and capabilities to perform daVinci Prostatectomy (dVP).
We have acquired the new Robotic da Vinci® surgical system at the Ventura Community Hospital, allowing our physicians to take a giant leap forward in the surgical treatment of prostate cancer. The Ventura County Urology Medical Group is one of only a few groups in the U.S. currently offering robotic-assisted radical prostatectomy's.
With the state-of-the-art da Vinci computer-enhanced minimally invasive surgery system, surgeons perform the same procedure done in conventional dVP but are aided by a three-dimensional computer vision system to manipulate four robotic arms. A pencil-size video camera held by one of the arms is inserted through an incision to provide magnified, 3D images of the surgical site. The 3D view helps the surgeon more easily identify the delicate nerves and muscles surrounding the prostate. The robotic arms can rotate a full 360 degrees, allowing the surgeon to manipulate surgical instruments with greater precision, flexibility, and range of motion.
This translates into patients experiencing less blood loss, quicker recovery time (two to three weeks, including just two or three days initial hospitalization), and fewer side effects, such as urinary incontinence and sexual dysfunction – a huge consideration for patients when choosing a treatment option.
The da Vinci® Surgical System can be used for a wide variety of surgical procedures, including:
- Mitral Valve Repair
- Nissen Fundoplication for the treatment of GERD disease
- Gastric Bypass surgery for obesity
- Radical Prostatectomy (da Vinci® Prostatectomy) for the removal of the prostate
- Esophageal surgery
- Thymectomy for Myasthenia gravis
- Epicardial Pacemaker Leads for BiVentricular Resynchronization
The da Vinci® Surgical System:
- Simplifies many existing surgeries
- Makes difficult MIS procedures routine
- Makes new MIS procedures possible in most surgical specialties
The da Vinci® Surgical System is groundbreaking technology that extends the surgeon’s capabilities in the following ways:
- Enhanced 3-D Visualization: Provides the surgeon with a true 3-dimensional view of the operating field. This direct and natural hand-eye instrument alignment is similar to open surgery with "all-around" vision and the ability to zoom-in and zoom-out.
- Improved Dexterity: Provides the surgeon with instinctive operative controls that make complex MIS procedures feel more like open surgery than laparoscopic surgery.
- Greater Surgical Precision: Permits the surgeon to move instruments with such accuracy that the current definition of surgical precision is exceeded.
- Improved Access: Surgeons perform complex surgical maneuvers through 1-cm ports, eliminating the need for large traumatic incisions.
- Increased Range of Motion: EndoWrist® Instruments restore full range of motion and ability to rotate instruments more than 360 degrees through tiny incisions.
- Reproducibility: Enhances the surgeon’s ability to repetitively perform technically precise maneuvers such as endoscopic suturing and dissection.
Please review our Questions and Answers page for more about Robotic Assisted Laparoscopic Prostatectomy.